First attempt at WSPR beacon.

Ted Jahn (K4YLX) brought over some "20M WSPR Pi Module" from TAPR https://www.tapr.org/kits.html along with his Raspberry Pi 1. We decided to start from scratch and install a new OS first. As I already had a copy of Raspbian (Wheezy) downloaded on my harddrive we installed it onto an SD card.

We then followed the steps set forth in the document "20M WSPR-Pi (QRPi) software installation guide for different HAM TX modes" found on the TAPR site under the "20M WSPR Pi Module" https://www.tapr.org/kits_20M-wspr-pi.html. This took most of the evening of April 3rd, 2017. While that was taking it's time to update and upgrade, I decided to try the same steps on my own Raspberry Pi 3 which was already running Raspbian Jessie. It also was taking it's time doing updates and upgrades.

Late that evening I saw that the Raspberry Pi 1 had finished those steps and I decided to continue the steps which had me install and compile the wspr application. It ended up with an error that the makefile had a compile switch that g++ didn't recognize "-std=c++11". I proceeded to research the issue but didn't get very far. My Raspberry Pi 3 was still upgrading when I called it for the night.

Today (April 4, 2017) Ted came over and we continued the process, I showed him what I had found and after a bit of discussion we decided it was because Raspbian (Wheezy) most likely didn't have a new enough g++ compiler. I then downloaded the latest Raspbian (Jessie) and started the Raspberry Pi 1 over again with the new image. While that was continuing at it's slow pace we continued the last steps on my Raspberry Pi 3. It didn't have any problems with the compile. So we were pretty confident that the new image on the Raspberry Pi 1 was going to fix the issues.

We then tested the Raspberry Pi 3 wspr application into a dummy load, with a small watt meter inline. We saw that it was putting out close to the expected 100mW. We decided to hook it up to my end fed long wire, after I setup the ATU for 20 meters. After a few cycles we came to the WSPRnet sight to see if we were being heard. It was very satisfying to see at least four reports up the east coast of the US reporting that they heard my beacon. We decided to put up my MFJ 2286 vertical and set it up for 20 meters. We then hooked the Raspberry Pi 3 to it and we saw even more reports heading in all directions from our QTH. After 3 hours or so we saw reports from across the US. It was really cool to see our little Raspberry Pi at 100mW being heard, into Canada and many other locations. As the Raspberry Pi 1 was still doing upgrades the testing of it will continue tomorrow.